When you study with us, you’ll be getting so much more than a degree. We pride ourselves on going that extra mile to make sure our students get a totally enriching experience.
We’ve incorporated a vocational focus into our qualifications to give you all the interpersonal and practical skills you need to be successful in your chosen career.
Gaining valuable work experience is essential to helping you get ahead in a competitive job market, so we encourage you to put your learning into practice with work experience modules.
Our help and support doesn’t stop once you’ve graduated either. Our tutors have a wealth of industry contacts at home and abroad for you to tap into, and will give you guidance on CV building, putting together personal portfolios, and preparing for interviews, whether you’re applying for Master’s degrees or jobs.
Read about what our past students say about us:
Olga Pope, FdA Graphic Communication
“Sussex Coast became a turning point in my adult life. I had no art and design experience before I started the course, but by the end I was nominated for two prestigious design awards and had a coveted place accepted at Central Saint Martins. I’m now working in my dream job as a creative at the country’s biggest and most awarded advertising agency, AMV BBDO. The support from everyone at SCCH was incredible. Thanks to SCCH, in two years I went from feeling utterly hopeless, to a level of confidence and ambition I didn’t think possible. I owe an enormous part of my success to SCCH, and could not thank its staff enough for changing my expectations of what could be achieved.”
Mitch Blunt, HND 2D/3D Graphic Design and Communication
“I grew up in Hastings, and didn’t have that many options after school because I didn’t do very well in my GCSEs. The only thing that I was any good at and enjoyed was drawing so I headed straight to SCCH.
I spent four years there learning everything, from how to use all the design programmes on a Mac, Printmaking, general communication skills and specialising in commercial Illustration.
I then moved on to Kingston University and had a clear head start on the other students from my time at SCCH. I got my first commission from The New York Times Magazine whilst in my second year and haven’t stopped working as a practicing commercial Illustrator since graduating.
I still use many of the skills that I learned at SCCH in my day to day job to communicate complex financial, scientific and political copy. And even after 15 years, I credit most of my success to my time there.”
David Adams, Graphic Communication
“I was a bit unsure whether I wanted to move away to a big University after seeing the costs involved and thought gaining a Brighton University degree on my doorstep seemed very favourable! After graduating, I built my portfolio and tried to get as much freelance work as I could while also working part-time. After a few years I became a Senior Creative Designer in an event management company, working on everything from logos, flyers, catalogues, websites, htmls, set design, conference stationary to packaging. It has taken a while to get where I am but it has been worth it. I’m a Graphic Designer working in Brighton, and it is very fulfilling to look back at my achievements knowing that it all started with the course at Hastings College!”
Sarah Fretwell, PGCE
“I started my PGCE in 2014 with zero experience in teaching.
Two years later I have developed my own teaching style, applying and adapting the strategies I have learned."
The course gave me an excellent work / life balance, especially as I am a working mum and the support I received from my tutor right the way through, was fantastic.”
Aidan Croucher, FDA Graphic Communication and BA Hons (Top Up) in Art and Design
“Sussex Coast College Hastings is my local college, where I studied A-Levels and really enjoyed my time there. I wouldn't have a career in design if it wasn't for my time at Sussex Coast College Hastings. It was during the degree that I found my passion for design and grew the ambition to have a career in the industry. Being taught by people that work, or have worked, in the industry definitely helped to inspire me.”
Mark Andrew Lowman, PGCE
“I initially chose to study a PGCE to formalise my previous teaching experience and chose Sussex Coast College because it was convenient and reasonably priced.
I realised that my previous experience lacked a foundation to work from, but the content in the first year of the course helped to get me up to speed.
I was supported throughout the two years and encouraged to develop my ideas for my research project through a continual dialogue with my tutor.
I was also able to benefit from my teaching position at Sussex Coast College, gaining valuable experience working at different levels.
Again, the support I received from my mentor was excellent allowing me to put my learning into practice.
I am now working as the Art and Design Technician and a sessional teacher at the college, as I look to gain further teaching experience within a diverse and interesting environment.”
James Bryant, HNC and HND in Mechanical Engineering
“I started an engineering apprenticeship with QinetiQ and the Sussex Coast College Hastings and progressed onto an HNC and HND in mechanical engineering.
The whole time I was at Sussex Coast College Hastings, I was completely supported by my tutors and given every opportunity to succeed.
I remember being very impressed by the facilities and the tutors’ knowledge during an Open Day.
I wasn’t disappointed when I joined, as the resources and the availability of the staff, along with their approachable manner, helped me to gain high marks in my course.
My whole time there was thoroughly enjoyable and after completing my apprenticeship become a Design Engineer at the same company.
I use the skills I learnt on a daily basis, without these skills I would not be at the same level I am today.
I am extremely grateful for what the college provided me over the three years I attended.”
Vladimir Da Silva Pimentel, HNC & HND Business
”SCCH is just big enough so that you do not feel overwhelmed and uncomfortable, but small enough so that when you walk around you always see someone you can say hello to.
The staff really care about you and want you to do well and enjoy yourself.
My tutor was exceptional. He was incredibly helpful and went above and beyond to tailor everything to me. The lectures were very clear and structured helping me to understand and prepare for exams.
Hastings seafront is more than just a beach for me; it’s given me that wonderful feeling of a ‘home-away-from-home’.
SCCH helped me to move onto my next step and complete a degree top-up at University of Brighton, which I achieved a 2.1."
Rachel Slatter, HND Business
“I really enjoyed studying at SCCH. It was a really relaxing and stimulating experience.
I had studied a diploma in business at the college previously, and I wasn’t at all put off by continuing with a degree in a further education college.
It is a great college to learn in no matter what you’re studying. I gained so much knowledge about business from my tutor and visiting lecturers, as well as learning and reflecting from older students in the group.
The Subject Leader was the star, not only coordinating the course, but providing the charisma and supportive atmosphere where I could feel I could learn.
There are more and more career opportunities becoming available, and it’s not far from London and Ashford.”
Ellen Edwards, HND Health and Social Care
“I studied a Level 3 diploma at the college and aspired to go onto university to study Health and Social Care in more depth, but needed to be close to home and work full time.
I was so pleased to find that the college ran the HND course, because it fitted perfectly with my commitments.
The tutors are so supportive, without the team I don’t feel that I could have done as well as I did - they all have such a huge amount of varied experience and can use this experience to really bring the teaching to life.
The college environment is inviting and makes me feel that I am part of something buzzing and vibrant- it’s exciting to come to college.
I have now enrolled on the Level 6 Healthcare management course and am aiming to complete my Masters in Social Care with the college.”
Where are they now?
We may be small, but we can be pretty mighty. Students have studied with us and we’ve helped propel them into some big things. Past students have been nominated and won huge international design awards for their artwork, entered into large national companies such as the BBC, the FA and have international success in Europe, America, the Middle East and South East Asia.
Want to work with our students?
- BA (Hons) Art & Design International student Meinhard Mikladal gained regular freelance Graphic design employment at the F.A, London for the World & FA Cup.
- BA (Hons) Art & Design student John Price, employment at the MILL the prestigious London and Los Angeles based production company and offered further MA postgraduate studies at Kingston University
- BA (Hons) Art & Design student Gwen Tooke Progressed to MA Sculpture at the University of Humberside – and a work placement working an Internationally renowned Danish Sculptural practice in Copenhagen
- BA (Hons) Art & Design student David McGillivary is working for a New York based new media company whilst a student. His work for an international student design competition has been acknowledged and he is relocating after graduation to New York. He has also worked for London based / Saville Row bespoke shoe maker
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design student Ceri Bates secured work placements in design agencies in Japan and employed with Boots & Habitat and senior designer for global company Paperchase
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design student Jonathon Stanbrook won an YCN award (Young Creative’s Network) in the advertising category for a challenging brief to promote understanding of Mutual Corporations
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design student Leah Basnett completed a successful internship with publishers Faber and Faber, culminating in the design of their marketing literature and the cover of the new edition of Faber Selected Poems: Philip Larkin
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design student David McGillivray has worked with photographers Lucy Bell to brand and promote her new gallery, and developed the marketing material for the prestigious Terry O'Neill awards
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design student Tom Petty was engaged by The Jerwood Foundation to develop signage concepts for the Jerwood Gallery in Hastings, and develop and produce a visual treatment for the site hoardings. He now works as a creative director at global brand consultancy, Wolff Olins.
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design student Julia Humphreys has worked extensively with the campaign to save Hastings Pier and was the only photographer allowed on site to record the site since it's closure, she was commissioned to photograph the work of artist Alan Rankle for his latest catalogue and exhibition
- A trio of BA (Hons) Graphic Design students from Hastings, Leah Basnett, Steph Badham and Emma Smith designed the promotional material for the first Sussex Arts Prize, in conjunction with the Jerwood Foundation
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design student Emily Stone was commissioned to develop interiors and marketing material for the Old Vicarage Boutique Hotel in Hastings Old Town Award Winning Fashion Designer, Katherine Hamnett
- BA (Hons) Designer Maker Suzi Fuller gained Full-Time employment through her work placement with the Imperial War museum London, with the Churchill collection She was entered by the Museum for the London Museum award, winning the Innovation category. She received a university of Brighton Scholarship in recognition
- BA (Hons) Designer Maker Student Sophie Bradbury was invited to work with the Victoria and Albert Museum in their Artist books section where she created her own ceramic book. At the end of the placement the book was accepted as part of their permanent collection
- BA (Hons) Designer Maker student Emily Betson won two prizes at the prestigious Pewter Live London for her handbag books, the first prize was the Giftware Association's Pewter Gift and the second prize was Fashion- from Jewellery to the Total Look
If you are interested in offering our students work placements or require our students to undertake commercial commissions in connection with any of our BA, BSC or HNC/HND courses please get in touch on 01424 442222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.